Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Treasure

Don't you just know God uses kids to show Himself to you and teach you a thing or two? A few weeks ago, I was interacting with the kids before worship. Typical Sunday morning. One of our kids came running up to me and said with confidence, "Mrs. Diane, I'm going to be a good boy today and then I'm going to be able to go to the treasure box." You see, this child and I have an agreement. If he is able to follow through on making the wise choice and treating others the way he wants to be treated, I allow him to get a treat from the treasure box. Some kids need an incentive. I had to remind him that he is a good boy, and that sometimes he just makes unwise choices that result in consequences. As the day progressed, my little friend was doing quite well. He occasionally reminded me that he was determined to get a treasure. Then IT happened... the moment that could have been a make or break for my little friend's hope of getting his reward. We were playing a memory verse game and it was time to clean up and my friend wanted to be the one who puts away the frisbee, only he no longer had the frizbee, his partner did. So he proceeded to demand the frizbee from his partner and when his partner refused he attempted to snatch the frizbee from his partner. Needless to say we're talking 1st graders and his partner had a death grip on the frizbee. So I asked my friend, "Is this worth losing your treasure over?" And just then the sky opened up and God said in a booming voice, "That's what I've been trying to ask you when you do the same thing Diane! Is this worth losing your treasure over?" Okay, well I'm just kidding there was no booming voice and the clouds didn't part, but I did infact hear God that day. It was in a still, small voice reminding me that sometimes I lose my treasure when I fight over things that are not important. What is my treasure you ask? Mainly. God's peace. I'll lose it everytime if I'm not fighting for kingdom purpose things, things God desires me to fight for. How about joy, and the blessing of glorifying our Lord. I can think of many treasures that I have missed out on because I have allowed myself to lose focus on what matters most. I thank God for his timing. He is wonderful and it is a blessing to be able to learn through the eyes of children in this children's ministry. I pray that God will speak to you and you will position yourself to hear him as you lead your children into a growing relationship with Him. I'm praying for you and are here for you. For the Kids of the Kingdom, Diane

2 comments:

Lori said...

Good word my firend! :)

Lori said...

It's too early to know how to spell, my friend<3

Post a Comment